In Chapter 26, I seek to provide a link between evangelism, follow-up, and discipleship. I delve into the pages of history to pull the reader out of the contemporary battles in this area. Then deal with some definitional issues. Perhaps the discussion of Matt 28 and its translation may be a benefit to the reader, as well as the sequel of verbs describing the follow-up activity of the apostles in the Book of Acts. Do not these verbs describe what the local church is all about, and what it should be doing?
After laying out the verbs, I discuss the importance of follow-up, from the standpoint of my early years in the ministry wherein I was strongly influenced by the discipleship movement. While very grateful for those years of training and thought, I must confess that I had to scour the pages of the Bible to find strong admonitions and examples of discipleship and mentoring. When I used similar efforts in seeking information on evangelizing, it resulted in the content of Chapter Seven.
The appendixes to Chapter Twenty-Six provide an evaluation of some polemical hot-points in the local church and its view of evangelism and discipleship.
- Preliminary Definitions (p. 1163)
- New Testament Verbs for Follow-Up/Discipleship/Fellowship (p. 1176)
- Content and Themes for Proper Follow-Up (p. 1215)
- Biblical Aspects of Follow-Up (p. 1218)
- Further Issues Concerning the New Convert (p. 1227)
- Select Helpful Discipleship Charts (p. 1228)
- Comparing Follow-Up Tools (p. 1231)
- Select Online Resources (p. 1231)
- Who Takes the Initiative in Follow-up? (p. 1232)
- Charting the Complications in Spiritual Follow-Up (p. 1234)
- Assessing Evangelizing in the Pastoral Epistles (p. 1235)
- An Assessment of Multiplication (p. 1239)
- Evaluation of the Impact of Sunday School on the Church (p. 1243)
- Considering Differences Between Roman Catholic and Protestant Spiritual Disciplines (p. 1245)
- Historical Addendum: Francois Lambert d’Avignon on the Trap of Monasticism (1522) (p. 1246)
- Teaching on Benedictine Vows (p. 1249)
- A Biblical Critique of the Benedictine Vows (p. 1252)